How To Roast Spaghetti Squash.
If you have never roasted a spaghetti squash you HAVE to try it! It is a great alternative to high calorie/high carb pasta. It does not taste like pasta, but it you spice it up it does actually taste really good! I love to make spaghetti squash casseroles mixing in different vegetables, protein (chicken or beans) and cheeses etc. At a mere 42 calories per cup you gotta try it before you knock it
1. Pre-Heat over to 375 degree F and line a baking sheet with foil
2. Cut the ends of the squash off (I find this helps in the next step, can pass on it though)
3. Cut the squash in half length-wise. This may be difficult as squashes are rather hard, be careful
4. scrape seeds of the squash out (like a pumpkin)
5. Spray squash with olive oil spray or drizzle with EVO and add salt and pepper to taste
6. Place the squash hind side up (the skin, so place the dug out inside down on the baking sheet)
7. Bake in over for about 20-25 mins then take it out to check on. If the squash is still pretty tough I place it back in for about 10 mins (30 mins total) and check again. Depending on the size of the squash it takes between 30-45 mins to cook.
You know its cooked when you take a fork to the inside and it strings like spaghetti. You want it to string easily but not into mush. I like my “noodles” a little crunchy but if you do not you can stick it back in for a little longer!!
8. Serve with your favorite sauces and sides for a healthy and nutritious meal!
Just a little Nutrition Comparison…
1 C whole-Wheat penne pasta comes in at about 280 calories with 55 grams of carbs vs. 1 C spaghetti Squash at 42 calories and only 10 grams of carbs!!! So try it out, it may not hit the pasta cravings but it is a great alternative to try out!! 🙂